A weekly yoga retreat combining a deep yoga experience, with a pleasant stay in an elegant villa. Various accommodation options in large bedrooms with en-suite bathroom and large windows. Non-participants in the classes are also welcome!
Full catering is provided to all guests during the whole week, including light breakfast, brunch and dinner.
THE HUMAN TREE: Principles of alignment in Iyengar yoga
One of the distinct features which makes humans unique in nature lies in the verticality of the spine. This change in spinal position liberated the head and neck from the downward constraints in relation to the earth. The vertical axis functions as an antenna which connects earth and sky, thus making humanity a meeting place between opposing as well as complementary forces.
By studying the biomechanics of verticality in cultures where people are still able to carry weight on their heads, one can see that human form itself is a reflection of the dynamic interaction between these two forces. In this original presentation of the traditional alignment of Iyengar yoga, all yogic techniques are traced back into their physiological source, i.e. the natural functions and reflexes of the body. Therefore, one is able to understand the alignment behind the yogic techniques from the inside out.
During the week together, we will work in a slow and methodical way, using body, mind and breath as a field of inquiry to explore the following topics:
- external and internal rooting in different series of asanas; precise and detailed explanation of alignment principles
- opening the back of the diaphragm to liberate breathing and to prepare for the subtle techniques of pranayama
- deep rest by learning how to access and release the nervous system
The aim of the workshop is to enable participants to understand the principles behind alignment, so they have the confidence to start or consolidate their personal practice
An intensive yoga workshop, in a beautiful 19th century property, with impressive shady gardens, situated in a landscape of immense natural beauty, offering quietness and privacy. This is an ideal place to study and relax.
This retreat will take place at “Villa Averoff”, a beautiful 19th century historic property on the island of Evia, 160 km north of Athens. The area in which the villa is situated is of immense natural beauty with mountains and hills forested with Aleppo pine and oak, rivers bordered by plane trees, olive groves and fertile valleys. The villa itself is full of charm, set in wonderful shady gardens overlooking the mountains and nearby sweeping beaches of the Aegean Sea which are 3-4km away. The villa complex consists of 2 large traditional mansions and 3 smaller buildings dated from the beginning of the 19th century. The villa, which still retains something of past centuries, offers quietness and privacy which makes it an ideal venue to study and relax.
There is a choice of single or double bedroom as well as a supreme bedroom option. All rooms are stylish & comfortable, each one having its own flavour of a vintage decoration coming from the a 19th & early 20th century.
All facilities necessary for a pleasant stay are available:
- En suite bathroom with shower or bath
- Large windows offering view to the garden
- Ideal temperature (even during the hottest days of the summer) due to natural ventilation and the surrounding garden
Full catering will be provided to all guests during the whole week, excluding one dinner (there is one half-day off when we go out to explore local restaurants). Food in Villa Averoff is vegetarian, cooked using fresh locally grown products, organic as much as possible. All meals take place in the villa’s charming dining room, except from the dinner out.
- Coffee /tea before morning class assorted with a fruit or light snack
- A nutritious & tasty brunch including fruit juice or salad, vegetable salad or soup, eggs (omelettes or scrambled / boiled eggs), fresh milk, yogurt, bread/toasts/crisps, honey/marmalade, variety of Greek cheese, cereals & muesli
- A gourmet dinner with a variety of delicious vegetarian dishes (appetizers & main courses), season salad, greek cheese and dessert.
- Wine is served at every dinner from a selection of local wine
- Fruits, fresh water & herbal teas will be available throughout the day
The schedule for this weekly yoga retreat will be as following:
|Friday 8/6||Saturday 9/6||Sunday 10/6||Monday 11/6||Tuesday 12/6||Wednesday 13/6||Thursday 14/6||Friday 15/6|
|8:30 – 9:00||–||light breakfast||light breakfast||light breakfast||light breakfast||light breakfast||light breakfast||light breakfast|
|9:30 – 12:30||–||yoga class||yoga class||yoga class||yoga class||yoga class||yoga class||yoga class|
|18:00 – 19:30||check in||yoga class||yoga class||off||yoga class||yoga class||yoga class||–|
|20:00 – 21:00||dinner||dinner||dinner||off||dinner||dinner||dinner||–|
Between morning & evening classes there is enough time to:
- Swim and relax at the swimming pool inside the villa’s garden.
- Relax in the villa’s garden, lobby or dining room
- Enjoy the sea (swimming, sunbathing or enjoying a cold beer) at the nearby beaches at 4-5km distance from the villa.
- Ride a bike (a few bikes available for use)
There is an option 3 days / 3 nights option (arrival Friday – departure Monday after brunch).
Non-participants in yoga classes are welcome to our retreat with either single or shared bedroom accommodation. They can join all activities except from classes and have a lot of free time to enjoy the magnificent villa and location around.
Location – How to come here
Villa Averoff is on the edge of Kirinthos village, in the North of Evia, about 160 kilometers North West of Athens. The village covers all basic shopping needs. There are a few tavernas, coffee shops and bars as well as banks and a post office.
If travelling from abroad, you will come through Athens. There are a lot of daily flights from all over the world landing to Athens International Airport.To go from Athens to Kirinthos, you shall choose one of the following options:
By bus departing from the center of Athens (Larisis station)
This is the cheapest solution but the longest one. It will take you about 1 hour from the airport to the bus station and 2,5 hours until Kirnthos village (bus station is 500 metres from the villa. The cost is 8 euros from the airport to the bus station (underground) and about 15 euros for the bus to Kirinthos village.
It will take about 2,5 hours (160km) from Athens to Kirinthos village. This is a pleasant trip though a motorway (the first part) and through local roads passing by a magnificent forest.
If traveling from abroad, you can choose one of the car rental companies having an office at Athens airport. We can also get you in touch with other people traveling to our Villa, that may want to share a car.
Our transport service
We will organise a transport service for our guests (upon demand) at an extra cost of about 100 euros per person:
• from the airport to our villa on arrival day
• from our villa to the airport on departure day
The basic package for the yoga retreat includes the following:
– 7 nights’ accommodation in rooms with en-suite bathroom, linen & towel, midweek change of towels /room clean.
– Use of the swimming pool & all facilities within the grounds of the villa
– Two classes per day except one afternoon off and last day (total of 7 morning & 5 evening classes)
– Yoga mats, blankets, blocks, straps, bolsters
– A light breakfast and two delicious vegetarian meals per day, according to the schedule above (7 breakfasts, 7 brunches and 6 dinners in total)